Re: networking problem and philosophy

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 13:25, David Z Maze wrote:

> Bret Comstock Waldow <bwaldow@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > I'm trying to get Debian going on my Thinkpad T21, and synchronize with
> > my Sony Clie PDA.
>
> (This works fine for me, but I always build my own kernel.  I've had
> better luck using coldsync than pilot-link, and the first sync always
> fails.)

I have an NX70V, which seems not so well supported yet.  The best page
I've found on the subject suggests a 2.4.20 kernel with a usb-visor
patch, which led me to making a new kernel...

> > I'm using the kernel-package and make-kpkg tools as shown in the Debian
> > manual, and that part seems to work.  I've got a kernel that may have
> > what I need to sync my PDA.
> >
> > But it won't give me my network access.
> >
> > I've looked a bit at the 'netenv' stuff, and it seems to have created
> > hard definitions of my network settings in /etc/netenv.  I chose during
> > install to use DHCP when it asked - the netenv settings don't seem to
> > reflect this.
>
> Hmm.  Is there anything informative in /etc/network/interfaces (the
> "normal" place for network settings under Debian)?  You also might try
> running your DHCP client by hand, and seeing if that works.  Also,
> check that your kernel configuration includes a driver for your
> network card.  I think the "Socket Filtering" option (CONFIG_FILTER)
> is also required to use DHCP, even though that's not obvious from
> anything in the kernel configuration.

I'll switch back to Debian to try this (I have my mail in Evolution in
Redhat, and I don't want to get mail in two places).

I'll send the answer in a separate mail.

> If you're always using DHCP and never a static address, netenv is
> probably unnecessary.  There's the minor question of whether your
> network card is PCMCIA or not, but the basic Debian tools deal fine
> with the case where you have a single network card that always gets
> brought up using an address from DHCP.

The network card is the built-in Intel EtherExpress100.  I'm getting my
connection now via a home 4 port router on a cable modem.  Other times I
might use dial-up or such.  In general I would think DHCP will
accommodate me while I have time to study up on networking more so I can
change the configuration later if needed.

Given that Debian is already installed, how do I get netenv out of the
loop?  And make sure DHCP is in place?  If it's not trivial for a newbie
to do this (or for you to describe it), I can install Debian again
(practice makes permanent).  If so, will it be sufficient to say "yes"
to DHCP and "no" to netenv when the questions are presented?  Or might
there be other items to respond to in the install?

Thanks,
Bret