Re: Kernel-sourcecode directory

"Willem-Jan Meijer" <meyer3@chello.nl> writes:
> Hello for the 3rd time today,
>
> I've downloaded the nvidia-kernel-src and nvidia-glc-src and read the
> documentation. You have to give a command wich gives this result:
>
> We do not seem to be in a top level linux kernel source directory
> tree. Since we are trying to make a kernel package, that does not make
> sense.  Please change directory to a top level linux kernel source
> directory, and try again. (If I am wrong, and this is indeed a top
> level linux kernel source directory, then I have gotten sadly out of
> date with current kernels, and you should upgrade kernel-package)
>
> So I downloaded the kernel-source-2.4.18 and installed that package. I
> searched my computer but I can't find the correct directory. I still get this
> message.
>
> Does someone know where to find this directory/how to install the nvidia
> drivers?

cd /usr/src
tar xjvf kernel-source-2.4.18.tar.bz2
cd kernel-source-2.4.18
make <config|xconfig|menuconfig>
make-kpkg --revision mymachine.1 --bzimage kernel_image
make-kpkg --revision mymachine.1 --bzimage modules_image
cd ../nvidia-glx-1.0.2880
dpkg-buildpackage
cd ..
dpkg -i kernelimage-2.4.18_mymachine.1_i386.deb
dpkg -i nvidia-glx_1.0.2880-3_i386.deb nvidia-glx-dev_1.0.2880-3_i386.deb

The above assumes you have the prereqs required to install all that
stuff, and, of course, you have the kernel-package and dpkg-dev
packages installed.

There may be more elegant solutions, but that's how I do it, to the
best of my recollection anyway.

Gary