Firewall install hangs?

I've been running a hobbled version of a commercial firewall package on an old 486/66 (w dual nics) and I'm tried to get stable installed on it as a replacement firewall. The installation is floppy based and seems to go fine until the base system install. It then seems to hang on: "validating /target/var/lib/apt/lists/debootstrap/invalid_dists_woody_main_binary- i386_packages". I let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Is it hung or could this validation take longer on a 486? The file name looks like a pseudo error message which has me wondering.

Also, any pointers to suggested minimum packages to install on a firewall only machine?

Thanks.