Re: debian on laptop w/ limited ram/speed/HD

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 12:47:47PM -0500, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> -- Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote
> (on Sunday, 02 March 2003, 02:07 AM -0800):
> > On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 10:05:05PM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> > > to become available to me, and I'd like to install debian on it.
> > > The system is an HP Omnibook A4100,
> > > P-II 300
> > > 96 meg ram
> > > 20 gig hard drive
[...]
> > > and...
> > > -openoffice.
> >
> > That is big software.  As long as you keep other staff small, it may be
> > usable on X.  Do not use too much color or virtual screen which eat
> > memory.  Keep daemon minimum.
>
> I agree with this -- OO.o is very large. However, once loaded, it's
> quite fast. Don't have much else going at the same time.
>
> > > sigh.  I'm a bit concerned that openoffice can't feasibly be run in
> > > such an environment; but I'm revising a book manuscript that was
> > > originally written several years ago in Word, and I really, really,
> > > really don't want to have to edit it in emacs or something.

Just as an additional data point, The machine I am using now is
similar in processor power (Mine's an AMD K6-350) to the OP's laptop,
and I regularly run OO.o at the same time as Mozilla (for grabbing
stock qoutes) using Blackbox for a wm. Other than long startup times,
the performance is quite adequate.

The one thing my system does have, however, is more memorg (192 kiB).
My suggestion would be to get more ram. Hopefully it is a recent
enough design that it doesn't use any wierd proprietary memory modules.

HTH
dt

--
Dave Thayer           | If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about
Denver, Colorado USA  | cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all