Re: repost -- phoenix, java and other plug-ins. are there any .debs?

Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:

>hello all
>this is my last attempt before i shift to some bloated browser. i have
>tried installing phoenix and make java run on it umpteen number of
>times. it *never* worked.
>phoenix installation is perfect. java is not. so, finally, i have
>decided to try installing from .debs.
>i run debian stable (woody) r3.0 and usually keep my system upto date
>using aptitude. any suggestions on where do i get these .deb files and
>step by step instructions on how to get and use them?

Hi Sandip,

Just a few minutes ago I posted my variations on Nate's instructions.
My differences involved using Debs for the Java.  This, along with the
file locations I used may be just what you want.  Here, are Nate's steps
with my diffs.

>>1) install phoenix(I install to ~/phoenix)
in /usr/local/bin/phoenix.d/
>>2) download java:
>>(I downloaded the linux self extracting file)
I used the Blackdown Debs (j2se1.3) These are my sources as added to

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian \
testing non-free

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian \
testing main
>>3) chmod +x the java file and run it, move the directory to /usr/local/java
The Debs took care of location /usr/bin/java
>>4) exit phoenix
>>5) cd ~/phoenix/plugins
cd /usr/local/bin/phoenix.d/plugins
>>6) ln -s /usr/local/java/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so
ln -s /usr/lib/j2se/1.3/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so
>>7) start phoenix
>>8) in url box type about:plugins to be sure it's loaded
>>9) test it by going to:
Try it.  Maybe this will work for you.

gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---
 "I have a sense of humor, but that's not funny."
                                  ---they don't.