Re: How to find out apt-get's reasoning

Colin Watson wrote:
On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 03:05:36PM -0500, Travis Crump wrote:

The more likely cause of this behavior is the "Replaces" field of kdelibs-data. I think apt-get will automatically try to install on dist-upgrade any package that claims to replace an installed package.

I really hope not. That would be a misinterpretation of Replaces, which
on its own simply means that some files from the named package(s) have
moved to the package containing the Replaces field.

Replaces in combination with Conflicts or maybe Provides, possibly ...

Well, the 'Replaces' theory sounds much more reasonable to me than the 'Depends' theory. No packages were being upgraded on OP's dist-upgrade so the depends of every other package on his system must remain constant. In order for a depends to cause a new package to be installed, it follows that there was a package that somehow got installed with an unsatisfied 'Depends'. I don't know how this could happen without the OP knowing what was going on[ie he had been using dpkg --force-depends].