RE: Testing the functionality of a parallel port...

> > I have greped for things that I thought would be relevant
> in /var/log
> > and could not find anything out of the ordinary.  Any ideas?
>
> by default linux doesn't put the parallel port in interrupt
> mode, most parallel ports default to using IRQ 7. On my
> systems I force enable the parallel port so it uses the IRQ
> instead of "polling" mode, this has dramatically improved performance.
>
> it may be that the kernel can't find a way to talk to the
> port if it's in polling mode(I had this happen before).
>
> in 2.2.x kernel
>
> echo "7" >/proc/parport/0/irq
>
> in 2.4.x kernel
>
> modprobe parport_pc irq=7 io=0x378
>
> those are the typical settings for a PC parallel port, you
> may be able to get by without specifying the IO address.
> after running you should see something like this in the kernel log:
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
>
> be sure to remove the module before trying to re-load it.

Ok, I removed both the modules and re-loaded parport_pc like you described.
Still not working, same message from lpq:

waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    root       14   (standard input)                      58602 bytes

Here is the relevant output of my kernel log:

Geocentric# Grep "parport0" /var/log/kern.log

Feb 28 11:37:51 geocentric kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778)
[PCSPP(,...)]
Feb 28 11:37:51 geocentric kernel: parport0: irq 7 detected
Feb 28 11:58:33 geocentric kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778)
[PCSPP(,...)]
Feb 28 11:58:33 geocentric kernel: parport0: irq 7 detected
Feb 28 14:39:38 geocentric kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq
7 [PCSPP(,...)]

Michael