Testing the functionality of a parallel port...

How does one go about testing the functionality of the parallel port on
their computer?

I am trying to get my Samsung ML-1450 working with my Debian Woody
workstation and I am having no luck.  I have downloaded the drivers from
Samsung for this printer and went through the setup.  I am using lpr to do
my printing.  I have built a custom kernel for this computer as well.

lsmod shows:

Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: PF
parport_pc             12932   0  (unused)
parport                13856   0  [parport_pc]
vmnet                  20704   4
vmmon                  19508   0

If I print a test page using the Linux Printer Configuration that comes with
the Samsung Printer, I get the message that the printer is "waiting for lp
to become ready (offline ?)".

If I type lpq, I get the following...

waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    root       13   (standard input)                      58602 bytes

I have greped for things that I thought would be relevant in /var/log and
could not find anything out of the ordinary.  Any ideas?

Michael

--
michael.kahle@scc-wi.com              Michael T. Kahle
Tel: +1.262.673.6770x161            105 Steel Craft Dr