Re: Disaster recovery

I kept digging; here's a script reporting  modified .conf files.

dpkg-query -W --showformat='${conffiles}\n' | gawk '{print $2 " " $1}' | md5sum -c

It's only a partial solution, but it helps and resolves (2) below.

Rich Johnson wrote:
Yeah, this "works", but it's not quite what I want. I'd like the deltas between the default installation and my installation. Although disaster recovery is my primary objective, the list of deltas can also be used for other things, including:
 - problem resolution - i.e. what's non-standard about a particular system.
 - review and justification of each delta.
 - security - compare two config deltas for unexpected changes.
 - clean up.

Since apt-get/dpkg
(a) knows about the .conf files
(b) knows the default .conf.
(c) "upgrade" detects deltas and queries what to do about the situation
I thought there might be some way to report the set of deltas.

The files in /etc fall into for categories
1.  default .conf files from installed .debs.
2.  non-default .conf files from installed .debs
3.  old .conf files from removed .debs; failed installations, etc.
4.  other files; typically user installed.

. . .

--rich

Alvin Oga wrote:

hi ya