using Tex / LaTeX as non-root

Hi All,

can somebody help with me with said subject?  Since I
upgraded to Woody, my texmf tree in /var/spool has not
been changeable by a normal user.  So as a normal user
I cannot generate new tfm or pk files.  This is very
annoying as I use both LyX and TeXmacs.

How do I rectify this so that any user can generate
these files?

If you are replying can you please CC me?  I am not
subscribed to this list.  My poor little dial-up
connection cannot handle the high volume of this
mailing list!  Thanks

Ananda Samaddar