Where to put environment variables?

I would like to add a JAVA_HOME variable as some of my apps seem to like
it...

I was doing this by exporting it in /etc/profile and it was ok.

I was using my system loging in at console and then doing "startx". Today
I decided to startup kdm (/etc/init.d/kdm start) and when I logged from
there I notisted that the konsoles I opened didn't had the environment
variables I specified.
So I think kdm does not reads /etc/profile and then every think that is
started by kdm also does not get those settings.

What is the correct way to add environment variables then?

Thank you
Joao Clemente

--
		        	Joao Pedro Clemente