Problem with disk going read only due to errors.

Hi,

I came in this morning to find a user unable to check his email - reporting an unknown password. In tried to change his password and couldn't, it turns out the drive had gone read only.

router:/var/log# mount
/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
router:/var/log# man mount
man: can't create a temporary filename: Read-only file system

Being an amateur I rebooted the machine and was not at all surprised to find this in the boot messages:

Feb 28 08:55:56 router kernel: EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem. Feb 28 08:55:56 router kernel: EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery. Feb 28 08:55:56 router kernel: kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds Feb 28 08:55:56 router kernel: EXT3-fs warning (device ide0(3,2)): ext3_clear_journal_err: Filesystem error recorded from previous mount: IO failure Feb 28 08:55:56 router kernel: EXT3-fs warning (device ide0(3,2)): ext3_clear_journal_err: Marking fs in need of filesystem check. Feb 28 08:55:56 router kernel: EXT3-fs: ide0(3,2): orphan cleanup on readonly fs
Feb 28 08:55:56 router kernel: EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
Feb 28 08:55:56 router kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

So, it looks to me like we've had an IO failure on the drive so Linux has remounted read only. Which is all good, except that we still had an IO failure. This is an old machine (P133) with an SIS5513 chipset, but a newer disk drive - a Maxtor 5136H2. I'm running ext3 but DMA is disabled.

So, does this look like a hardware problem, and if so is it related to the drive falling apart? The drive previously ran a lightly loaded FreeBSD machine for about a year so it should have had a comparatively easy life. If it is the drive, how can I find out what kind of state it's in? Should I (and how can I) drop back to ext2? Performance is really not all that important, as you can tell it's a lightly loaded router and mail server.

Cheers,
Dave