Specifications for username

My manager wants to know what is allowed and what not when choosing a
linux username.

I know it must be lowercase, not have spaces or special characters,
but I don't know where it is documented.

Any reference to documentation that specify this?

Regards.
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to
      forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all
      unrighteousness."       I John 1:9