Re: Want to creat a CD with indexed HTML content

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 11:32:16AM +0000, Pat Colbeck wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am working on a little project to produce some reference materail on a
> CD. Basically it will be a canned web site. The idea being that you
> could stick it in your CD drive and browse all the content easily. What
> I would like to do is have an option to search teh CD without the use
> having to index it themselves.
>
> Does anyone know of a search engine that you can install on Windows that
> will let you point it at a pre made index file and that is
> free. Preferably one that is compatable with indexing produced by HTdig
> as the live copy of the web site is running on Woody with HTdig and
> Apache.

Just a thought - rather than a Windows app, could this be done with
Java or Javascript (will a browser load a Java applet from a local disk?)
or similar, and therefore remain internal to the browser, and (mostly)
cross platform (and on-topic :-).

http://www.google.com/search?q=client-side+search+engine came up with
some interesting hits that could be useful.

Richard