Re: my CUPS RUnneth Over!!!

> | I saw on the web that CUPS stands for Can't Usually Print Stuff.
>
> Heh.  It works well for me though.

me too now!

> | Once upon a time, CUPS worked for me.  Then I tasted of the fruit of
> | knowledge,
>
> _of Good and Evil_.  The Lord doesn't wish His people to be stupid.
> He desires for them to be holy and righteous.

nicely put, apologize for the flagrant out-of-context quoting

> | the Lord grew angry, and cast me out of the Garden.
>
> Ever since people have had knowledge of evil they ceased to be pure
> and holy.  Holiness can't abide with unholiness, thus the expulsion.
>
> | Now I struggle to find my way in.
>
> The way is straight and narrow and presented before you.  It is your
> choice whether you want it or not.

well, I still find it a struggle...

> | First, the Printers.conf:
> |
> | <DefaultPrinter commandlinez53>
> | Info Lexmark Z53
> | DeviceURI test:/dev/null
>
> This URI can't be entirely right.  First, do you have a file named
> /usr/lib/cups/backend/test?  If not then cups won't understand a
> "test://" URI.  Secondly, sending data to /dev/null won't put ink on
> paper, but I think you realize that :-).

Well.  that was the issue actually.

When I first installed debian, my printer (Lexmark z53) was only known
to work via a script called "lexmarkwrapper" written by the folks over
at linuxprinting.org, and installed via an obscure alienated rpm
called "lexmarkz53".  As I now understand it, lexmarkwrapper posed as
a filter, then hijacked the printing process ffrom CUPS
and sent the relevant data to the printer all on its own.  then the
process was returned to CUPS, which finished the filtering process and
sent the data to /dev/null.  So under this plan, it was essential to
set the uri to /dev/null, so tht CUPS didn't actually try to contact
the printer.  As for 'test'...  I can't honestly say why the URI was
set to test -- that's just the advice I got when I was first setting
up debian.  I assume it should have been 'file://dev/null', but
nonetheless it worked fine back in the day.

Anyway:  I did something to break this setup (don't know what) and
then tried to reinstall everything.  This doesn't work, though,
because in the meantime Lexmark has released new drivers which are
incompatible with both CUPS and lexmarkwrapper.  So I installed the
new driver and lexmarkwrapper remained broken.

> | --> this seems fine -- test:/dev/null is what I used to have to have
> |     in that line, always worked before, though I never understood why
> |     I needed it.  Anyway, changing it back to usb:/dev/usb/lp0 just
> |     adds one more error.
>
> You want to add '//' after "usb:".  If that doesn't solve the error,
> then something isn't right with your USB setup.

Fortunately, in the meantime GIMP has been shown to work with the z53,
so I installed gimp-print, reinstalled everything else, and now I
acutally _can_ print from usb://dev/usb/lp0 !

yay.

> | Now, the error_log.  I've edited it somewhat, but left a lot in since
> | I don't know what's important.  The errors start in the last section,
> | which I've marked.  I hope someone cna figure out what's going on!!!
> |
> | thanks,
> | matt
> |
> | here's the log:

> | -- SNIP --
> | D [14/Feb/2003:23:24:34 -0500] LoadDevices: Added device
> | "usb:/dev/usb/lp0"...
>
> This looks like cups finds your USB printer device.  Is it really
> there, though?  Does that file exist?  If you echo some characters to
> it, does the printer react?

um, I should try that -- I'm always kinda scared of my /dev files,
guess I oughtn't to be.  Anyway, though, it _is_ really there now.

> | -- SNIP --
> [test page begun]
> | I [14/Feb/2003:23:24:55 -0500] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 23301) for job 4.
> | I [14/Feb/2003:23:24:55 -0500] Started filter
> | /usr/lib/cups/filter/cupsomatic (PID 23302) for job 4.
>
> | D [14/Feb/2003:23:24:55 -0500] perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> | D [14/Feb/2003:23:24:55 -0500] perl: warning: Please check that your
> | locale settings:
> | D [14/Feb/2003:23:24:55 -0500] LANGUAGE = (unset),
> | D [14/Feb/2003:23:24:55 -0500] LC_ALL = (unset),
> | D [14/Feb/2003:23:24:55 -0500] LANG = "en"
> | D [14/Feb/2003:23:24:55 -0500] are supported and installed on your
> | system.
> | D [14/Feb/2003:23:24:55 -0500] perl: warning: Falling back to the
> | standard locale ("C").
>
> This warning from perl is not fatal, but it is a good idea to correct
> it.  Set $LANG (in /etc/environment) to a locale listed in
> /etc/locale.gen.

I'm a bit confused about these errors, actually.  $LANG _is_ set in
/etc/environment -- to en_US, which is also what's echoed for $LANG
from the command line.  I've actually had quite a bit of trouble with
locales, I should figure out once and for all what's wrong.

> This looks like the printer is configured to use /dev/lp0 as the
> device, however the user cups is running as doesn't have permission to
> write to it.

interesting. I thght CUPS ran as root?

ANYWAY:  thanks as always for the help!  sorry for the delay in
responding.  I had a deadline yesterday and had to impose a 'no
email/no hacking' rule on myself until I finished my real work; so I
didn't see your mail till a couple of days ago (...so, I broke my rule
a bit early).  ALWAYS apreciate your help -- you might not remember,
but you and one of the Colins were _essential_ in helping me get
started with Debian last summer.  I therefore especially hope the
little bit at the front of my mail wasn't offensive.

all the best,

Matt