Networksettings

Hi.
I'm new to this list, new to linux and new to debian, but I'm trying to set it up on my Apple Powerbook. I already found some helpfull sites for this, but to use the suggestions to set up the X server an everything else that causes problems, I need to setup a network conection, and here is the problem: I can't connect! So please can anyone tell me how to set up my network connection in comando line? I do connect via ethernet to the LAN here and then via a router to internet.
In MacOS X I have to set up to connect:
My IP
Subnetmask
Router
and DNS server.

I thought i did set all this up correctly in debian, but it seems it doesn't work. I tried to view a page with lynx typing "lynx www.debian.org" and "lynx http://www.debian.org"; both don't work, and as lynx is trying to access something, i feel this should be a comand that might work.

so far, thanks
benno