Re: Help w/ debugging an unfunctional talk and talkd

> On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 07:43:17PM -0500, fbrian@nac.net wrote:
>> How do I see where talk or talkd are hanging???
>
> Do you have talkd enabled in your inetd.conf?

As far as I know.  Here is the relavent lines from inetd.conf

#:BSD: Shell, login, exec and talk are BSD protocols.
talk            dgram   udp     wait    nobody.tty      /usr/sbin/in.talkd
     in.talkd
ntalk           dgram   udp     wait    nobody.tty
/usr/sbin/in.ntalkd     in.ntalkd

I posted the entire file below your sig

TIA

Brian

> --
>  .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
> : :'  :    proud Debian admin and user
> `. `'`
>   `-  Debian - when you have better things to do than to fix a system

zeus:~# cat /etc/inetd.conf
# /etc/inetd.conf:  see inetd(8) for further informations.
#
# Internet server configuration database
#
#
# Lines starting with "#:LABEL:" or "#<off>#" should not
# be changed unless you know what you are doing!
#
# If you want to disable an entry so it isn't touched during
# package updates just comment it out with a single '#' character.
#
# Packages should modify this file by using update-inetd(8)
#
#
#:INTERNAL: Internal services
#echo           stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#echo           dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
#chargen        stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#chargen        dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
discard         stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
discard         dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
daytime         stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#daytime        dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
time            stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
#time           dgram   udp     wait    root    internal

#:STANDARD: These are standard services.
telnet          stream  tcp     nowait  telnetd.telnetd /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/in.telnetd

#:BSD: Shell, login, exec and talk are BSD protocols.
talk            dgram   udp     wait    nobody.tty      /usr/sbin/in.talkd
     in.talkd
ntalk           dgram   udp     wait    nobody.tty
/usr/sbin/in.ntalkd     in.ntalkd

#:MAIL: Mail, news and uucp services.
smtp            stream  tcp     nowait  mail    /usr/sbin/exim exim -bs

#:INFO: Info services

#:BOOT: Tftp service is provided primarily for booting.  Most sites
# run this only on machines acting as "boot servers."

#:RPC: RPC based services

#:HAM-RADIO: amateur-radio services

#:OTHER: Other services
amanda dgram udp wait backup /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/lib/amanda/amandad
amandaidx stream tcp nowait backup /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/lib/amanda/amindexd
amidxtape stream tcp nowait backup /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/lib/amanda/amidxtaped

zeus:~#