Re: woody, nsswitch.conf/hosts.conf ignoring /etc/hosts

Will Lowe said:

> ... the manpages indicate this should work.

after a recent bout with trying to figure out a sendmail issue
on a friend's mandrake machine I discovered that sendmail seems
to completely ignore /etc/hosts under some(all?) circumstances.
This behavior was confirmed when I helped another guy troubleshoot
another sendmail problem on his redhat machine.

So there are probably some apps out there that do something
similar, so I wouldn't rely on such behavior. Perhaps it's
a specific system call that the apps call ..I'm no programmer
so don't know the technical details.

nate