Re: How to systemwide change MAIL=/var/mail/username to /home/username/Maildir

Felix Erkinger said:
> I'm currently wondering, why my system is constantly ignoring any attempt
> in /etc/login.defs to change the mail Variable to Maildir style.
>
> I tried QMAIL, MAILFILE, MAILDIR, but no effect (stays /var/mail/xy) so
> far. the /etc/pam.d/login looks like it does not change it.
> I've tried it via ssh login, no effect
> (the bruteforce attempt grep -r \/var\/mail * in /etc is not comming to an
> end)

depends on your mail delivery agent, on one of my systems mail goes
to ~/mail and the MDA is procmail so I have:

PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail      # You'd better make sure it exists
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail

in my /etc/procmailrc

there may be another way but that's how I've been doin it for 3 years
now.

nate