Re: How to compare and choose anti-virus software ???

Also sprach Craig Dickson (Tue 25 Feb 02003 at 01:30:32PM -0800):
> Michael D. Schleif wrote:
>
> > Now that I've got exim|fetchmail|razor|spamassassin|procmail|mutt
> > more or less functioning properly, it is time to implement virus
> > protection, especially for email:
> >
> > 	# apt-cache search virus | grep -i virus | sort
> > 	amavis-exim - Interface between MTA and virus scanner.
> > 	amavis-milter - Interface between MTA and virus scanner.
> > 	amavis-postfix - Interface between MTA and virus scanner.
> > 	clamav - Powerful antivirus scanner for Unix.
> > 	clamav-daemon - Powerful antivirus scanner daemon.
> > 	clamav-testfiles - Use these files to test that your antivirus program works
> > 	exiscan - an email virus scanner for exim
> > 	f-prot-installer - Installer package for F-Prot Antivirus(tm)
> > 	libclamav1 - Virus scanner library
> > 	libclamav1-dev - clam antivirus library development files
> > 	mailscanner - An email virus scanner and spam tagger.
> > 	sanitizer - The Anomy Mail Sanitizer - an email virus scanner
> > 	xbill - Get rid of those Wingdows Viruses!
> >
> > Is there some webpage that compares all of these, in order to make an
> > informed decision?
>
> If everyone who uses your server uses mutt to read their mail, then you
> really don't have much to worry about from email viruses. When an email
> virus shows up on my server, I just delete it; it never had a chance to
> infect anything.

Maybe yes, maybe no . . .

> Here are the fruits of two minutes of research using only dpkg -p, which
> you could just as easily have done yourself:

Of course, I have already done this; and if those descriptions were
adequate to the task -- as with much software available via apt -- I
would not have made my post.

<snip />
> We have now limited the selection to:
>
> clamav and/or clamav-daemon
> exiscan
> sanitizer
>
> That should be a small enough set that you can just do a bit more
> research to figure out which one best suits your needs.
<snip />

Part of my research, in this case, is soliciting testimonials from
users.  Hopefully, with enough user response and elbow grease, an
informed decision will just come to me ;>

Thank you, anyway, for your candid opinion . . .

--
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource