Re: About to go all Deb

on Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 03:24:49PM +0000, John Anderson (johnga@btinternet.com) wrote:
> Hi, All
>
> I am relatively new to Linux, been running Mandrake 9.0 for about a fortnight,
> and after lots of reading I have decided to move to Debian.
>
> I have a 80gig drive, and when I installed Mandrake, I let it have its
> defaults for drive mapping which was .........
>
> /dev/hda1   mount /	5.3gig
> /dev/hda5	 mount /swap	243meg
> /dev/hda6   mount /home	68 gig
>
> When I get to installing Debian, I would like to do things differently with
> regard to drives. After reading a lot about this, there seams to be no
> optimum for a system, ie its down to user preference, and what he wants the
> system for.
>
> Any way to cut a long story short I have come up with the following, and would
> appreciate thoughts and guidence.
>
> /boot		20meg

Too small, IMO.  If you try multiple kernels, you'll hurt for space.
32-64MB, less will likely suffice.

> /		4gig

*Way* too big.

> /var		8gig

*Way* too big.

> /tmp		2gig

*Way* too big.

> /usr		5gig

Generous, but not overly.

> /swap	??? 750meg ram, and from what I have read it should equal the ram up to
> 256meg

Size each swap partition to your current memory allocation.
Create enough swap partitions to accomodate the maximum amount of swap
supported by your system.  Mount 1-2 times your physical RAM as swap.
This allows you to grow the amount of swap over time without forcing you
to repartition later (always a pain, often a risk).

> /home	what ever is left

For my general partitioning guidelines, see:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html

Peace.