Re: DocBook

Mike M <linux-support@earthlink.net> writes:

> I want to restart my DocBook efforts.  I have SGML source and want
> to produce HTML and PDF docs
>
> Should I start by installing these packages: docbook, docbook-dsssl?

That's probably a good start; you also need a DSSSL processor (jade
and jadetex seem to be ~canonical).  Then you can run

  jade -t tex foo.sgml   # foo.sgml + foo.dsl -> foo.tex
  jadetex foo            # foo.tex -> foo.dvi
  dvips foo -o           # foo.dvi -> foo.ps
  pdfjadetex foo         # foo.tex -> foo.pdf

Alternatively, if you're in an XML world, you can use an XSLT
processor (like xsltproc) and libfop-java to get PDF out.  But that
has Java dependencies, is strictly XML, and the Debian dependencies
never seemed quite right to me.

	-- Abra Mitchell