Re: GNOME2 questions

1) gdm looks the same as in woody (gnome 1.4). I had the backported
 gnome 2 packages in woody and I'd like to use the "graphical"
login.

Check the archives from debian-gtk.  There was some discusion on
this.
From what I remember, some parts of gnome2 dont build on some archs
and
the gdm maintainer doesnt want gdm2 in there till everything does build. So till then: deb http://harshy.homelinux.org/files/debian/
./ deb-src http://harshy.homelinux.org/files/debian/ ./

Yeah, that explains it. Thanks for the link.

2) Something seems to be very slow with gnome-terminal. Scrolling
text in it eats my CPU to 100% and the scrolling is slow.

Do you have transparecny enabled?  That can make it slow.

Transparency doesn't seem to affect the performance after it has loaded
the background. (= turning it off does't help).

3) I can't find advanced control panel functions like "remember
window palcement" and so on. I hate it when I have to maximize
mozilla every time.

Are you using metacity or sawfish?  From what I remember sawfish does
this type of thing, while metacity doesn't.  I think.

Well, I thought of this as a "general" question. For example I can't
find where to set my home directory in Nautilus. I use sawfish, and in
Woody the above mentioned setting were available in gnome control panel under sawfish. I can find sawfish but it seems all useful settings (not just sawfish) have been simplified (read: removed). Anyway, I just love the new nautilus. It's really fast. That was the only con about the old nautilus, it was slow.

Thanks for the help!

/johan

--
Johan Ehnberg