Can't send base64 attachments

I attempted to post this thing on exim-user but after reconsidering, I
don't think it's an exim thing..

My system is Debian mostly-stable, and all packages involved are stable,
I believe..

My problem is that I cannot seem to upload emails in base64 format... at
least messages above some size..  IIRC, some time ago I did attempt to
send a tar-gzipped file a bit over 20K and couldn't, but after breaking
it up into two parts, was able to get it off in separate emails..  I had
thought that it might be some ridiculous size limit imposed by my ISP,
but it's not that..

My setup is a desktop system, using Exim as the MTA and Mutt as the MUA.

Recently, I had attempted to send a 20K attachment but failed.  I then
tried to send it with KMail with the same results..  what happens is
that it begins the send but the server(ISP) quits responding.. with my
system sitting there waiting.. waiting.. until it times out.

I then tried to send the same file set as quoted-printable and it went
OK, but twice the size.

Wondering if it was that the ISP does not accept base64, although I've
gotten base64 attachments from others using this ISP, I went over to
Windows and sent the same file to myself through the ISP and it went
successfully, so that should eliminate the ISP.. at least that it would
totally reject all base 64 emails.

So.. the question.. Since KMail fails to send, I'd think it wasn't
strictly an Exim/Mutt thing..  I even stopped the exim (and also
spamassassin) daemons to see if _they_ were interfering with KMail, but
still no go..

Is this some setting that I don't have right?  Or is it that my Linux
system is sending the base64 In some way that my ISP doesn't like.. or
what??  Does anyone have a clue?