Re: [OT] Actually Way OT - Debian version names

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 12:18, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 09:42:47PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:50:26AM -0800, deFreese, Barry wrote:
> > > Yup, both in Toy Story.  You really should see the movie.  For being a
> > > "kids" movie it is very good!!
> >
> > This one's been bugging me for a while now...why do Americans
> > associate animation strictly with children?
>
> Two words: "Walt Disney"

Which is actually really sad and unfair to Walt Disney himself. He never
advocated animation strictly as entertainment for children. It was after
his passing that the company decided to head in this direction. Walt
Disney had a close collaboration with Salvador Dali that began with
Fantasia. Disney intended to release a Fantasia 2 which was to be drawn
and overseen by Dali himself. There are still a number of preliminary
sketches done by Dali for the project floating around. Unfortunately,
after Walt Disney's passing, the company decided that children should be
their target audience and, hence, animation as a children's form of
entertainment was born.

Thankfully, this is a phenomenon which seems to be primarily restricted
to the US. Japan is a prime example of a country that most certainly
does NOT make animation strictly for children. Neon Genesis Evangelion
anyone? Or, for the NC-17 side of things La Blue Girl.

Though the US does seem to be making some progress. Shrek was a
wonderful movie for adults and children. I would venture to say that a
good half of the movie was targeted PURELY at adults without being
obvious enough to make it necessary to restrict children from watching
it.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837