Re: Need help configuring box as router

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 11:13:24AM -0500, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

[ top posting SUCKS ]

> On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 07:07:55AM -0500, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> > > I have a fresh copy of the woody dist installed on a box with kernel
> > > 2.2.19, eth0 is 192.168 and eth1 goes to cable co.
> >
> > 1. apt-get install ipmasq
> > 2. Pack up the linksys.
>
> Unfortunately that wasn't the answer.
>
> Other than the Firwall HOWTO I referenced, what other areas of my install
> should I look at, and how should the files/configuration appear?
>
> I'm first looking to establish successful routing.    Once that is done,
> I'll worry about filtering, if desired.

Eh, the ipmasq package sets up routing and filtering for you.  It
seems to me that many people think 'ipmasq' is the same type of
package as 'ipchains' (kernel 2.2 fw tools) or 'iptables' (kernel 2.4
fw tools); it's not.  ipmasq is a collectionof scripts that autodetect
which interface is external, which is internal, what kernel you have,
and the rest happens automagically.

  Avoid gunfire in the bathroom tonight.