Where to put local PPD file for CUPS?

Greetings, all.

I've just switched to CUPS from lprng.  I've been quite happy with it;
the web configuration interface is particularly nice.

Only one minor question: the best .ppd for my particular printer is not,
so far as I can tell, included in any of the cups-related packages (at
least in woody).  I was able to download the .ppd from the web, put it
into /usr/share/cups/models, and add my printer; everything works fine.

I just don't much like having a local non-package file in /usr/share.
Can cups be configured to look under /usr/local (or, I suppose, possibly
/etc) for PPDs, or am I stuck with a non-package file under /usr/share?

Richard