Re: Cd destroyed in cd drive

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 14:25:11 EST
Tertrainman@aol.com wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering how a cd could break into pices in a cd drive?

Modern fast CD drives do spin the cd very fast indeed (IIRC the peak speed
on an audio player is around 600rpm, and while the 52x of a 52 speed drive
is relative to the _slowest_ speed of a player, it's still 1000's of rpm)
so if there was a small flaw in the edge it could easily fly apart. The
problem of going above 52 speed is that the CD stretches of the order of 1
track pitch at that speed

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering