FIXED: Re: bash not reading ~/.bashrc

> If what you really mean is that .bashrc is not read when you login on a
> text console, then that's covered by bash's man page, which you really
> ought to read. .bash_profile or .profile is read by login shells;
> .bashrc is read only by non-login shells. If you want .bashrc to be read
> by all shells, then you need to put ". ~./bashrc" in your .bash_profile
> or .profile to make it happen.

I have this in my .bash_profile. I think it was there, but commented out, by
default.

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
fi

Thanks for the plethora of suggestions. I guess this proves that "speed reading" the man page is not quite the same as "reading" it. Again, thanks for the info, I will try to refrain from asking such dumb questions in the future :-)

-Roberto Sanchez