Re: DHCP/DNS assistance

wrote:
|> Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
|> > At least for dhcp3-server it is a simple tweak - the
name of the
|> > interface goes on the command line. IIRC it was the
same for dhcpd.
|> > Simple tweaks to the /etc/init.d/* script.
|>
|> 	No!! Don't do that. If you do an apt-get upgrade later
it will most
|> likely replace the /etc/init.d script.

|It had certainly better not! If you see something doing
that, ensure
|that a serious bug is filed.

I wonder how the boot scripts resolve across whole upgrades,
then?  Not a topic for here, maybe...but it seems to me that
the one included in the original install (I'm updating a
3.0r0 on my server on a regular basis) would have things
that may need to be improved or changed in subsequent point
releases...

|> Instead of that, alter the file /etc/default/dhcp.

|That's good advice, but /etc/default files are provided for
convenience
|to make the job of merging changes to /etc/init.d scripts
easier. They
|are emphatically *not* an excuse for upgrades to overwrite
changes made
|directly in /etc/init.d, and if people want to do the
latter then
|they're quite entitled to go ahead.

Here's what I did (veeery short form)

I tried looking for a configuration directory (what appears
upon inspection to be the RH path, but it's what I found in
a _lot_ of tutorials), in order to set DHCPDARGS = "eth1";
(with or without quotes, it was stated both  ways in various
methods, nothing ever took it as an legitimate
option/argument), in (IIRC) init.d script it was set up as a
variable INTERFACE and then passed value (or is that by
reference?) to command line.  It was also set in in the
dhcpd conffile as eth1, so all bases were covered.

dhcpd still complained of needing a subnet declaration for
eth0, so I finally gave in and created it with {}.  Then
everything was fine as far as IP connectivity.  The clients
got addresses in the ranges I'd specified, and each could
run services (ftp, telnet, etc) to and from the server, in
windows and linux.  The funny thing was that the win/lin
clients could resolve the server hostname, but nothing else
in the system.  If DNS was completely shot, I would have
thought even that was possible.  So I thought there was
something running that I was somehow misconfiguring... ps
-ef  | grep ????...what should I be looking for besides
dhcpd?  Is there a DNS daemon or is it  BIND that handles
that?  Maybe I can do this all through samba, but then what
the devil's a WINS proxy?

Even more reading is in order, it appears.  Any ptr to
apropros?  Suggestions gratefully accepted.  Most hardcopies
can't keep up with versions, so that's been a bust for
anything but eaching the basic protocols (library had some
stuff).

Thanks for the help!

-russ

PS When I get this resolved, should I post a "solved"
message, or where would I put that info?  It would be a
shame for me to go through all this work and then not put it
in simple layman's terms in some sort of document (that I
could have followed right now!).  I'm pretty certain that a
lot of people are trying to transition their various
systems/nets to a more or complete linux based solution,
something like this would be a phenomenal help...and it
would be more current than 99% of what I found out there.