Re: tunnelling -- best practices

Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 11:30:54PM -0500, jereme wrote:
> > Some of this is preference.  I find, I myself prefer to build a tunnel
> > to remote networks.  Having a routable link provides much more
> > flexibility than remote login.
>
> What's your method for doing this?  I've made a couple half-assed
> attempts at setting up a PPTP VPN so I and my users can connect to my
> network remotely when need be.

For net-to-net connections where I have static assignments on both
ends I always use IPSec, (freeswan of course).  I have lots of sites
using this and I havent had a problem in the three years I have been
running it.

For single users looking to connect to the mother ship I use two
solutions.  For those unfortunate souls trapped on win systems, I
setup a pptp server for their use, (poptop).  Though I think pptp is
pretty bad all said and done, it is standard or easily obtained for
most win systems, (besides, if quality software was such a priority
fot those users, they wouldn't be running windows systems).

For Linux folks, I go with vtun.  I use this every day and have never
seen it burp.  I have also used IPSec for this but as many folks must
traverse a NAT gw, the modified headers cause the remote gateway to
drop the AH packets, (their are patches to get the gw to not munge
these headers but lots of times I don't controll the gateway or it is
an appliance).  Also the dynamics addressing has given me trouble.
When the address changes, the tunnel takes a little while to
reestablish, (about long enough for a user or client to becomes testy
and start hitting my cell).

>   `-  Debian - when you have better things to do than to fix a system

I always thought this was an *excellent* footer.

-jereme

Jereme Corrado <jereme@restorative-management.com>
System Administrator
Restorative Management Corp.