Re: [OT] How fast are scanners nowadays?

I've got an Epson Perfection 1640 Office scanner, which includes a sheet
feeder. I bought a cheap SCSI card for it (it will use SCSI or
USB) because when I bought it I was still running a 2.2.x kernel which had
mediocre USB support.  It's pretty fast for scanning - I'd guess less than
a minute per page. I've got a research project that involves scanning lots
of text; my routine is:

- Scan the document
- Save the image and also run it through gocr
- Save the output of gocr
- Pay an undergraduate to view (via a web interface) the graphic and the
text and edit the text accordingly.

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu