Re: Where does "dpkg -l" reads package info?

David Z Maze wrote:
"Yildiz, Murat" <murat.yildiz@atosorigin.com> writes:

and run apt-setup and let read all 8 cd's
but it seems it doesn't write available and status files again.

The canonical way to do this is to run 'apt-get update', hit 'u' in
aptitude, or select "update" from dselect's main menu.  What problem
are you really having?

'apt-get update' won't update /var/lib/dpkg/available. As far as I know only 'dselect update' does. Since random programs such as grep-available rely on /var/lib/dpkg/available being kept up to date, it is generally a good idea to always use 'dselect update' instead of 'apt-get update'. Why the two aren't equivalent is beyond me...