Re: jack: coding failed, error#32512

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 02:50:38PM -0500, Thomas H. George,,, wrote:
> I want to try mp3.  I used apt-get to install jack.  From the
> description I expected to work with its standard .jackrc file.  It
> started smoothly using cdparanoia but, when the first cd track was
> extracted the error#32512 appeared.
>
> The man page for jack suggested other man pages including lame(1).  I
> have no such man page and apt-cache search lame does not find a page
> with this name although there is a glame.

lame is your mp3 encoder, and isn't available in debian because it's
technically (though debatebly) illegal to not pay frauenhoeffer a
royalty for using an mp3 encoder.  if you happen to find the source
code for lame online, however, you'll notice it ships with a ./debian
directory, meaning you can do something like

fakeroot ./debian/rules binary

and presto have your own .deb for lame.  anyway, if it's not installed,
i'd guess that's why you can't make mp3's unless you have another one
installed.

_However_, i'd suggest you consider migrating to ogg vorbis.  smaller
file size and better sound quality at the same time i've found, and
it's supported by the latest versions of mp3 players for all os's. i
don't know about jack, but abcde (another friendly frontend) handles
both ogg and mp3 quite well.

hth
	sean