Re: Best WWW browser..

Kevin.Bewley@camr.org.uk wrote:

>Hi, I'm using Debian 3.0r1 stable (woody) and am currently using Galon for
>web-surfing. However, it seems to break on some sites - they seem to be
>moaning about Frames support mostly.
>
>Anyway, which browser should I use under gnome to get the most pages
>viewed?
>
>I'd prefer a .deb package from stable but if not, what do people think of
>the Opera 7 that recently appeared?

Mozilla		Seems to be as fully W3C compliant as any I've tried.
Phoenix		Not fully tested, but seems to be as compliant as Mozilla
Opera			Usually considered to be among the best.  I've noticed poor
					handling of CSS1 and CSS2
Dillo			Quick, but lacks a lot of stuff.  Not W3C compliant.
Netscape		v=>6.0 Highly compliant.  Some find it flakey.  Not fully
					exercised here.
BrowseX		Quick and small.  Not fully compliant.

Overall, I recommend Mozilla.  Unfortunately there are a number of web
sites that seem to depend on non-compliant Internet Explorer proprietary
tags.  There's nothing to be done other than bitch to the webmaster.
Good luck with all that.
--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---