RE: Controlling swapping

I'm no kernel expert here but I've never seen linx swap out things unless it
needed to. I suspect you've got a periodic task that wakes up and demands
memory. Likely culrpits are cron tasks or a screen saver.

If you have enough memory, you can disable the swap file completely and run
with just RAM. I've done this on my laptop and it works fine. As a bonus,
this may force the culprit process to log an error when it cannot allocate
enough memory.

Good luck.

Charlie.