Re: setting up a modem device

Jos Elkink wrote:

Hi all,

I've got a little question. I am not too lazy to find the answer myself,
but have no clue this time where to start looking or what search terms
to search on on the internet. So, if anyway can point me in the right
direction ...

The problem:

I have a laptop, a Toshiba 2060 CDS, with, obviously, Debian Linux on it
(Sarge). Now I would like to connect to the internet, so I need to find
the device for the modem.

The command lspci lists the modem, so I can find the address as listed
there.

My question is, how do I find out what file in /dev points to the modem
port? (Or more in general, how do you find out where a device file
points to?)

And if none points to the modem, how do I create a file in /dev (e.g.
/dev/modem) pointing at a specific address? And do I need info other
than what is given in lspci?

Any help would be very welcome, especially as to how I find the answer
in this kind of cases ...

Thanks in advance!

Jos
jelkink@cantr.net

Chances are real good that your modem is a "win-modem", and won't work "right out of the box" no matter what you do in /dev.

I'd recommend you go to www.linuxmodems.org and see if you can search that sight for you specific modem. It's fairly likely that you can get it to work if it's a Lucent chipset. If it's a different chipset, your chances are probably considerably decreased, but not eliminated altogether.

Kent