Re: cdrecord -scanbus fails - THANKS ALL

I didn't know about hdparm.  After using apt-get to install the package
it reported there was no /dev/hdd.  This led me to review the kernel
options as I had recompiled it many times recently trying to get a
wireless usb adapter to work.  Somehow, I can't imagine when or how,
scsi emulation was turned off.  With this corrected cdrecord -scanbus
finds the cdrw with no difficulty.

I then tried hdparm -d int /dev/hdd with int = 0 or 1.  This turned dma
off and on.  hdparm -tT /dev/hdd produces a page of ide-scsi: hdd:
unsupported command in request queue (0).  Since dma on is not a problem
I left it that way.

Again, many thanks for all the help.  I've learned some new things and
the system is working again.

Tom George