Re: Best WWW browser..

-- Dave Selby <dave_arahan@yahoo.co.uk> wrote
(on Tuesday, 18 February 2003, 10:21 AM +0000):
> On Tuesday 18 February 2003 10:10 am, Kevin.Bewley@camr.org.uk wrote:
> > Hi, I'm using Debian 3.0r1 stable (woody) and am currently using Galon for
> > web-surfing. However, it seems to break on some sites - they seem to be
> > moaning about Frames support mostly.

Wierd -- shouldn't happen, as it's based on Mozilla, which has always
had decent frames support.

> > Anyway, which browser should I use under gnome to get the most pages
> > viewed?
>
> I use phoenix through KDE though it should work in gnome, Ive added a couple
> of plugins for java etc, works AOK, have yet to meet a page it wont display
> and is quick, not as quick as dillo but quick !!

Actually, it works anywhere. If you have GTK+ libraries installed, it
will theme via the current GTK+ theme (1.x only, though; and not all
elements theme).

> Not avalible as a deb package as far as I am aware, but compile from source
> and it works AOK

No need to compile from source -- they provide binaries, which you can
install either into your system tree (/usr) or run from anywhere. The
binaries are built off the current stable development version of
Mozilla, so they don't even require Moz to be installed. However, if you
have Moz installed already, it makes using plugins a little easier (I
symlink to the Moz plugins directory).

> http://www.mozilla.org/releases/stable.html

Ummm, that's for mozilla. Try this link:
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/releases.html

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net