Re: Converting Knoppix to Woody

>From Mohammed Sameer on Sunday, 2003-01-26 at 03:21:28 +0200:
>
> Once upon a time Kent West wrote @ Sat, 25 Jan 2003 16:34:53 -0600
>
> > >I've tried a few different installs to get Debian working on my system.
> > >
> > >At one point I used the HD install script to install Knoppix on my harddrive.
> > >It worked, in basics.
> > >
> > >There seemed to be a few problems, such as menus in KDE (I would think this
> > >would be a problem in Gnome, too).
> > >
> > >If I re-install Knoppix (one benefit is it works w/ my video card -- Woody
> > >doesn't), what can I do to get the packages (and the KDE menus) in sync w/
> > >Woody?
> > >
> > >Is that possible?
> > >
> > >I had trouble with adding some packages under Knoppix, but did not have the
> > >same trouble under a "regular" Debian install.
> > >
> > >Thanks.
> > >
> > >Hal
> > >
> Don't forget the
> /etc/apt/preferences
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable "testing/unstable as you wish"
> Pin-Priority: 1001

This is a good suggestion, that enables a "downgrade" to woody.
However, there is no guarantee that it will go smoothly.

A better suggestion might be to install woody, as you have
previously, but try to work through the problems that you
have, one by one---perhaps with help from the list here.

It sounds to me like on of your major frustrations is
with the graphics card.  Probably it is not supported
by XFree86 4.1.  The reason it works with Knoppix is
that Knoppix uses XFree86 4.2.  You could do the same
thing, however, by including the following line in
/etc/apt/sources.list

# Added to upgrade to XFree86-4.2
deb http://people.debian.org/~blade/woody/i386 ./

When you install Woody, there is an option to
"add other apt sources".  Take it!  And add this line.
Then hopefully your graphics will work from the start.

Once you have a functioning graphics card, you will
feel a lot less frustrated, and you can little by
little solve all the other problems.

Conrad