howto get kdm to (offer) shutdown upon logging out....?

i know that older versions of gdm had this feature....

I have managed to get sudo to allow me as an ordinary user
to do what I want... but there seem to be no obvious way
to configure the behaviour of kdm on a per user basis...

google search yielded: http://dot.kde.org/998717333/998842727

which was inconclusive....one of the issues mentioned is that
even if one managed to get shutdown to run one would prefer
to save the current session prior to doing so...