Re: Exim "closing connection" for no apparent reason

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 06:16:58PM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 08:14:15PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:

<snip>

> > I guess there must be something in that apparently innocent list of
> > processes which is responsible for the exim -bs magic, and it's the
> > configuration of that which is running out of mana? But I don't know
> > which config to check.
>
> I think I've got it ... are you running exim from inetd?  If so, my
> guess is that you're running into the respawn limit of inetd itself,
> since fetchmail is opening a connection for each message.

Can't see how else it can be running... (double checks
/etc/inetd.conf) Yes, I am. So why didn't netstat -an show it
listening on port 25? (does netstat -an) Oh, it IS there - but I had
to read the list three times before I spotted it. Pigeon with the eyes
of a naked mole rat, that's me.

That would definitely account for it. I've got lots of short messages
coming in at about one a second once the connection clears the dead
cats off the line. It also explains why the presence of long messages
which take a long time to download lets it get further before it locks
up.

> If you are running from inetd, there are two paths you can take to
> resolve this issue:
>
> 1) Run exim as a daemon instead.
>
> 2) Edit your /etc/inetd.conf to allow more than 40 connections within
> one minute; I'll quote the relevant part of man 8 inetd:

<snip>

> I knew I'd seen the constant 40 somewhere; my apologies for mistakenly
> thinking it was an exim issue.

No worries, thanks for the advice. I thought the 40 would ring a bell
with somebody. My first impression was that it was an exim problem, too.

I've set the limit to 150, which should be adequate, so we'll see what
happens when I connect tomorrow.

Many thanks,

Pigeon