16MB not enough to install

I'm trying to install Debian onto a machine with only 16MB of RAM.
I have a 16MB swap drive as well.

The installation is for i86 architecture using the Advanced rather than the Simple package selection.

I have opened dselect and closed it without picking anything else beyond what it choose by default.

I'm running out of memory and am unable to complete the installation.

I thought this could still be done on 16MB of RAM.

What's the catch?
--
backups: always in season, never out of style.