RE: ftpd-ssl

> I don't know of a single native Windows or Mac ftp client
> that supports it. For that matter, the last time I checked
> support in the UNIX world wasn't that great either. Most of
> my ftp is through wget or ncftp (in both Linux and Windows)
> and I don't think either one supports ssl-ftp.

I had no problems finding a freeware windows client.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla

> I think it's partly a chicken-and-egg problem. Why use it
> when almost no software supports it and almost no sites use
> it? Why enable it on your site when almost nobody uses it and
> almost no clients support it? Why add it to your client when
> nobody uses it and most people don't even understand why they
> might want to? I suspect that most people/sites who are
> concerned about security use ssh/scp/sftp instead.
>
> There's also an SSL-enabled telnet, which almost nobody uses
> for the same reason.

well, really it was just for me to use, but I can see the point you're
making.
most of my friends use sshd with a suitable client (windows putty), I have
never used telnet.

Children's Cancer Institute Australia is the only independent medical
research institute in Australia solely devoted to research into the causes,
prevention and cure of childhood cancer. Our vision is to save the lives of
all children with cancer and eliminate their suffering.
http://www.ccia.org.au