Re: Hard Internet conexion in woody laptop

Hello!!

I'm using woody in a laptop

But I  haven't been lucky setting  it up to sail  Internet, because when
I'm in a network connected to Internet  I'm able to ping the gateway but
not to sail.

I've just bought a real rs232 external  modem but I get the same result.
I ping the gateway with no  problems but not getting the browser working
out.

I've tried two official kernels and a  custom one but it is the same: no
browsing Internet at all.

I think it  is not related with  kernel modules. I put up  the ppp0 with
`pon' and the eth0 and usbd0 with `ifconfig'.

My mind is blank now, I don't know how can I make it work.

Can you help me?

Thanks.

It sounds like you are unable to get name resolution.

Make sure that your /etc/resolv.conf has nameserver entries:

nameserver xx.yy.zz.ww
nameserver xx.yy.zz.ww

If your ISP does not set these for you dynamically, then find out what the IP addresses are, add them to resolv.conf and make the file read only with 'chmod a-w /etc/resolv.conf'

It is not the cleanest solution, but it will get you surfing the web right away.

-Roberto Sanchez