cron solved

George,

Thanx for your explaination. I read the man 5 cron manpage (I ran man 5 cron) and understood that you have to use (better to do so) the -u option.

My problem was that I want to 'load' and 'unload' a firewall rule periodically. iptables runs (kernel 2.4.18) under root, so I had to edit crontab for root.

From my experience with AIX (IBM-UNIX) I always run crontab -e being the user I have to change for, root for the root crontable. This is how I got puzzled by Debian and did not really find a solution in the manpages for editing cron for root. For other users the manpage is sufficient. Or did I miss the hints for root? I read man crontab, man 1 cron, man 5 cron. However the 'root-solution' I found on an internet-site.

And I think again, Debian is a very good Linux-flavour, but most of the time it is hard to find good documentation for this flavour. Or is there??

Anyway, thanks hor your explaination. It opened my eyes a little more.

Frank.