Re: where would I ask...

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 02:18:10PM -0600, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
> GSO writes:
>
> > Where would I ask if anyone has any linux hardware to sell - need a
> > parallel port scanner (UK).
>
> Its just a matter of verifying that a certain scanner is known to work
> on Linux and then finding it. For the latter I suggest eBay. The
> former is a bit trickier and you might want to start here:
>
> http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners.html

Your question implies to me that you are looking for second-hand
hardware. I like the ad rags for this, the newspaperoid things
somewhere between tabloid and broadsheet size, called something like
"Loot" (Bedford) or "Friday-ad" (Birmingham), costing a quid or two. I
generally read them in WH Smiths and then buy them if I'm interested
in following anything up (Smiths apparently believe that "browsers
make buyers" and condone this).

These generally have a few ads for parallel port and SCSI scanners,
usually for something under the cost of a new USB one (35 quid at
computer fairs).

Personally I'd recommend SCSI over parallel port. Parallel port
scanners use SCSI emulation anyway, so you might as well go for the
real thing. The cost seems to be about the same. If you have to get a
SCSI card though... well get one, it'll open the wonderful world of
SCSI hard drives to you as well!

Just make sure the bloke you buy it from isn't bigger than you, in
case you have to take it back :-)

Pigeon