Re: How do I find out where a package came from?

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 09:59:13PM -0500, jereme wrote:
> You can check the file:
>
> /usr/share/doc/package/copyright
>
> Debian policy say that this file has to exist for all official debs.
>
> also:
>
> "In addition, the copyright file must say where the upstream sources
> (if any) were obtained. It should name the original authors of the
> package and the Debian maintainer(s) who were involved with its
> creation."
>
> So my thought is, if the file doesn't exists, you know you didn't get
> the package from Debian, (it would register as a bug).  And if it
> *does* exist, it will provide you enough info to determine if it came
> from the Debian achive or from an external source.

That's unlikely to help, really. External packages tend to have
debian/copyright anyway, and if they were based on a real Debian package
it's pretty rare that anyone would bother to change the copyright file
to indicate that it's not part of the Debian archive any more.