Re: docs via www behaviour

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 01:45:03AM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 06:00:20PM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've just discovered something interesting - when I view docs for
> > my installed packages via apache, there are some files I don't see.
> >
> > I _think_, this is because apache treats files starting with
> > "README" specially.
> >
> > Is the appropriate solution to turn this behaviour off in apache,
> > or would it be better for package maintainers not to put such
> > files in the doc directory?
>
> Here's the Apache config line responsible:
>
>   IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# HEADER* README.* RCS CVS *,v *,t

Thanks for that; done.

That's half of it. My thinking is though, if this is a standard
assumption for a webserver configuration, and the doc directory
is intended to be viewed like that, perhaps README is a bad name
for things to be given?

On the other hand, perhaps it's a bad assumption for a webserver to
make, except when done intentionally for a specific purpose.

I don't know if either is worthy of even a wishlist bug - but it
had me stuck, and assuming that various other packages had
inadequate documentation, simply because I couldn't find it.

Richard