Re: Locale?

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 10:55:49PM +0100, Jeff Elkins wrote:
> Knoppix HD install apparently thinks I'm German. At any rate, ispell wants to
> use the German dictionary.
>
> How can I fix the default locale to be US?

I'm not sure if this is an ispell thing or a locale thing; however, this
is how I installed locales.

modified from: http://xtrinsic.com/geek/articles/language.phtml
(installation instructions for a search engine)

Installing locales
You need to make sure the right locale (think language pack) is
installed for each language you want to search. Here's a quick checklist
that will work on debian servers. With slight modifications you can use it
on other servers as well.

	locale -a
	shows all installed locales. Check to see if your locale is
	listed.

	If you get an error message saying something to the effect of
	"command not found" when you type locale -a you need to
	install locales.
	apt-get install locales

	Once you've installed locales you'll need to configure them.

		dpkg-reconfigure locales

		select the locales you'd like to install

		leave the default system environment as C unless you'd
		like to really erk your sys admin....in which case change
		it to some foreign language and watch the sparks fly. :)

		when the program exits it should "Generate locales."
		Mine looks like this:
		Generating locales...
		en_CA.ISO-8859-1... done
    		en_US.UTF-8... done
      		fr_CA.ISO-8859-1... done
     		Generation complete.

		when you get your prompt back confirm your locales were
		properly built by typing: locale-gen

		Check to see if the locale is installed with
		locale -a. If it's not, repeat the steps above
		and cross your fingers harder. You may also want to upgrade
		your locales as a troubleshooting technique.

	If you're running Woody + stable you should have no
	problems. To finish installing on Sid you need to compile the locale
	definitions file manually (for each locale). I used this:
	localedef -v -c -i fr_CA -f UTF-8 /usr/lib/locale/fr_CA
	(man localedef to see what all the options are)

	NOW you should have the character maps. Repeat these steps for
	EACH language.

g'luck!

emma :)

--